Donor Rights Code
LDAWE has adopted the following as our Donor Rights Code:
- All donors (individuals, corporations, and foundations) are entitled to receive an official receipt for income tax purposes for the amount of the donation. Donors of gifts-in-kind are entitled to receive an official receipt that reflects the fair market value of the gift. A charitable donation receipt will automatically be issued for all donations made of $10.00 or higher. Smaller donations will only be receipted if a request is made at the time of the donation.
- All fundraising solicitations by or on behalf of LDAWE will disclose the charity’s name and the purpose for which funds are requested. Printed solicitations will also include its address or other contact information.
- Donors and prospective donors are entitled to the following, promptly upon request:
- LDAWE’s most recent annual report and financial statements as approved by the governing board;
- LDAWE’s registration number (BN) as assigned by CRA;
- Any information contained in the public portion of LDAWE’s most recent Charity Information Return (form T3010) as submitted to CRA;
- A list of the names of the members of LDAWE’s governing board of directors; and
- A copy of LDAWE’s Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Policy.
- Donors and prospective donors are entitled to know, upon request, whether an individual soliciting funds on behalf of LDAWE is a volunteer, an employee, or a hired solicitor.
- Donors will be encouraged to seek independent advice if LDAWE has any reason to believe that a proposed gift might significantly affect the donor’s financial position, taxable income, or relationship with other family members.
- Donor’s requests to remain anonymous will be respected.
- The privacy of donors will be respected. Any donor records that are maintained by LDAWE will be kept confidential to the greatest extent possible. Donors have the right to see their own donor record, and to challenge its accuracy.
- LDAWE will not share its donor list with other organizations.
- Donors and prospective donors will be treated with respect. Every effort will be made to honour their requests to:
- Limit the frequency of solicitations
- Not be solicited by telephone or other technology; and
- Receive printed material concerning LDAWE.
- LDAWE will respond promptly to a complaint by a donor or perspective donor about any matter that is addressed in this Donor Rights Code. The Resource Manager will attempt to satisfy the complainant’s concerns in the first instance.
Canadian Charitable Registration Number: 84441 7881 RR0001